• The Regional/District Agricultural Departments under the Eastern Regional Coordinating Council (ERCC) and the District Assemblies is mandated to deliver effective extension services and link Farmers and Processors to markets.
• The Maiden Eastern Regional Commodity Satellite Market Fair is being organized by the Regional Agricultural Department of the ERCC.
• Date & Venue of the Fair: 27th & 28th October, 2021 at the
Appenteng Hall (Wesley Cathedral), adjacent to MELCOM
• Theme of the Fair: “Developing the Eastern Commodity
Satellite Markets: The Role of Agro-input Dealers and
“GOOD INPUTS GOOD PRODUCE GOOD PRODUCTS”
B. OBJECTIVES/ PURPOSE OF THE FAIR
• Enhancing the Supply of Good Quality Agro-Inputs
• Enhancing the Supply of Good Quality Agricultural Produce for Processors and Consumers
• Linking Small Scale Farmers and Processors to Markets
C. MAIN MESSAGE
• Over the years several interventions and Programmes (PFJ, PERD and MAG) have led to the improvement in yields and production of some major crops in the Region.
• Consequently, issues of marketing of produce have become the main constraint of farmers.
II. WHEN IT WAS PROPOSED
• The Eastern Region in 2019 proposed the development of commodity satellite market as a direct response to the problem of weak market linkages.
III. PROPOSED SOLUTION (Development of Commodity Satellite
• District Agric. Departments identify and select at least one commodity of which they have a comparative and competitive advantage.
• District Agric. Departments play a lead role in organizing FBOs (Farmers, Small scale processors, etc.) to produce, process, brand and package the selected commodities for both domestic and international markets.
• Collaborate with Regulatory bodies (GSA/FDA) for certification of these products.
• District Agric. Departments facilitate the linking of these selected brands to markets and further facilitate the contractual signing of Memorandum of Understanding with prospective aggregators and buyers.
IV. CURRENT STATUS
• District Outcome (Selected Commodities and products developed, Volumes of Sales, No. of farmers/FBOs linked to market, etc.)
• Regional Outcome (Mention all commodities developed by
Districts in the Region-
➢ Branded and Packaged Rice
➢ High Quality and Unadulterated Honey
➢ Enriched Gari
➢ Quality Unadulterated Palm Oil
➢ Neatly Packaged Tiger Nut
➢ Well Packaged Nutritious Mushroom
➢ Nicely Packaged Taro
➢ Nicely Packaged Onion
➢ Pineapple and Mango Products
D. STRUCTURE OF THE FAIR
➢ Exhibition of Quality Agro Inputs ( Seed, Fertilizer, Pesticides, weedicides etc)
➢ Exhibition of Nicely Packaged and branded products
E. FOLLOW-UP ACTIVITY AFTER THE FAIR
➢ Aggressive Campaign on the use of Agro-Inputs (Fertilizer, Pesticides,
Seeds, Machinery) by the Eastern Regional Conference of District Directors of Agriculture (CODDA)
➢ Campaign Period: Last Quarter 2021 & First(1st) Quarter 2022